Bathroom remodeling is a great way to give your home a fresh look and make it more comfortable. According to the National Association of Home Builders, bathroom remodeling is the most popular information request, making up 78% of home renovations (the second most popular being kitchen remodeling at 69%). However, the cost of remodeling can really add up fast. Here are some bathroom remodeling ideas for the homeowner on a budget.
- Use tile sparingly- if you must replace your tiles, choose places that will have a higher impact, like the floor outside the shower rather than hidden behind the shower curtain. Try tiling in a pattern such as a horizontal strip instead of the whole wall, or using expensive tiles as an accent against a cheaper tile background.
- For countertops, try choosing cheaper materials. If you have your heart set on granite or marble, choose colors that are not as popular to save money (like bright or dark colors- neutral and beige tones are more popular and cost more).
- Of the bathroom remodeling ideas here, this is the quickest, easiest, and most effective. Make sure you move everything out and clean first, and tape off your fixtures. For smaller bathrooms, lighter colors are recommended to make the space look bigger.
- Update your fixtures- lights, kitchen and bathroom faucets, cabinet knobs, towel racks, etc. It might not seem like much but the overall effect is in the little details, and small fixture repairs can make a big difference.
- Redo caulk and grout. These will stain over time and no amount of scrubbing will make them look bright again. Redoing caulk, much like the fixtures, is a little touch that makes a big difference.
- Go energy efficient if you splurge on anything. 91% of homeowners surveyed said they planned on installing an energy efficient toilet in order to save money on water consumption in the long run. Also consider energy efficient faucets and showerheads.
Do you have any budget bathroom remodeling ideas? We’d love to hear them in the comments!