Pests cause a lot of damage to homes. About 600,000 homes are damaged every year in the United States by termites. Termite control and repair of the damage the bugs do cost American homeowners about $5 billion each year. Bed bugs have been in the news a lot over the past few years. They are incredibly hard to remove from a home, 68% of exterminators rank them as the hardest pest to totally get out of a home.
Exterminators in NJ suggest doing the following to find the best best pest control service company:
- Try to find a personal recommendation. Ask your friends, family and neighbors. You probably know people who have had to hire exterminators but may not have brought it up. If the company can give you references, that works, too. You can also go online and see if they have been recommended, or complained about, on sites like Yelp! or Angie?s List.
- Ask about their insurance and certifications. Reputable exterminators usually belong to local or national professional associations. They should also have licenses to be permitted to legally provide these services. Do not take their word for anything. You can verify any memberships or certifications.
- Do not select a company solely on their price. The most expensive company may not provide the best service and the cheapest exterminators may cost you more later on. This is really important with bed bug infestations, which are so hard to deal with. Call a number of pest control services and get quotes from all of them. Usually, the safest bet, is to go with a company the middle of the price spectrum. unless you have received personal recommendations from the highest or lowest priced company.
- Make them explain how bad your current infestation is and give you tips to avoid it reoccurring. Having bugs or other pests invade your home is never fun. They spread disease and are just gross. You need to talk to the company you pick and have them explain how extensive your infestation. Better yet, they should have some ideas about how you can prevent a bad infestation from happening again.
- Do they guarantee their work? What is their guarantee? What does it cover? What do you need to do to keep it valid? Many exterminators offer a guarantee for their work but then they also require you take certain steps to prevent the pests from coming right back. Sometimes there are simple steps you can take to make your home less appealing to rodents and insects.
There is an old Irish tradition that people have turned to when confronted with a rat infestation. The homeowner will leave a note out for the rats thanking them for their visit and giving them an address where they may find better lodging and dining options. This is not an effective way to deal with any pest infestation so if you find yourself dealing with rats or roaches, you should protect your home and your family by calling in some professional exterminators.